Sunday, January 01, 2006

Thankfulness for What I Have

As I begin a new year I have to take stock of what I have. I have a loving God who in His great mercy saved me, I have a loving wife and a wonderful daughter, and a job that supports us all. And yet, something is still lacking...

During the Christmas season I watched the tradition holiday movie, "It is a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart and the lump in my throat was not there. Why? Why did not I feel as though I could relate to this movie as in the past years? Time to reflect...

This past year has been somewhat of a downer for me. I have noticed for the first time in my life limitations of my body, I cannot get up and down as easily as I could in the past. I have trouble getting up stairs and I get winded easily. I must confess that the disease that I was born with, Muscular Dystrophy is catching up with me. It has been a thorn in my side all my life but not a complete distraction. This past year however it was becoming just that.

Self pity is starting to creep in...So I need to take stock of what I do have.

  • I still can get out of bed though somewhat slowly
  • I am still able to walk with out braces or crutches
  • I still can work .. Which is a good thing with a daughter in college...
  • I am not confined to a wheel chair as of yet

    When I look around and see those who have the same disease they are not so fortunate as I. Many of them could only wish for those items I listed. Many of those afflicted with MD will not reach the age that I am (but really 48 is not that bad).

    So who am I to have self pity? Sure things are harder but I can still function on my own! Praise God for that, many would love just to be in my shoes with all my limitations! I need a dose of the old "gratefulness for what I have" like Jimmy Stewart. For you see, I have much to be thankful for. Life is a gift even with it's limitations. I must then agree with Paul the Apostle,

    2 Corinthians 12:10 "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

    God Bless:
    BluesMan
  • 2 comments:

    Paige said...

    Daddy, I love you, but I thought you were 49...maybe it's your memory that's going. :D

    BluesMan said...

    your right - but you should not correct your elders :P