Saturday, February 11, 2006

It's Cold ... In Boerne

As I left my house this Saturday morning for my cup of coffee from Boerne's famous Daily Grind, I noticed a very COLD chill in the air. A chill not known to us here in South Texas.

On my way I turned on the radio to listen to my favorite country station and heard with my own two ears that the temperature here was 34 degrees! Panic set in, and my thoughts within my head started to give way to un-rational thinking. Was my cup of Daily Grind coffee worth risking my life for in such terrible weather? Could I make it home to my loving wife, or would I get stranded somewhere on the streets of Boerne and freeze to death?

Finally a calm took hold of me, and a resolution I that I have never known before pushed me forward for the smell of dark roasted coffee which my body was yearning for. When I made it to the Daily Grind there were others there that had also braved this terrible winter storm as well. We all smiled at each other with a knowing of what it took for us to make this trip in such awful weather.

When I finally made it home the temperature had risen to 36 degrees. Though this winter storm has abated some, there is a lesson that I learned today, and that is, my caffeine fix is greater than my need to survive.

For those who think that I am going overboard here, please note that the temperature hear in Boerne will drop well below 30 degrees tonight, but fear not, while I was at the Daily Grind I bought a pound coffee that I can brew at home!

Blessings:
BluesMan

No comments: