Tuesday, September 20, 2005

A Quote and My Thoughts

Where there is sorrow, there is Holy ground. — Oscar Wilde

This quote caught me by surprise, not because of it's insightfulness, but because of who said it. But I digress.

Here are my thoughts on the quote, this quote gives to me remembrance of a certain passage found in the pages of the Bible. There once was a woman who grieved. She had lost a husband, a brother-in-law, and a father-in-law. All she had left was her mother-in-law, a sister-in-law, and the faith that had been taught to her by her mother-in-law. There was sorrow all around. Yet in her sorrow this widow loved and returned love.

There came a time when her mother-in-law wanted to go back home and told her daughters that she would be going home. After telling them they all packed up to go. While on the way the mother-in-law turned to her daughters and told them to go back to their own families, to their old gods, and maybe God would grant to them new husbands. Oh, the sorrow there in that place for all three women cried with the parting of a family that had love each other through their sorrows.

Now to be divided from the one who had taught her how to love God, to trust God, and to depend on Him was more than she could bear. In that place of sorrow she now stood on Holy ground. For you see, her response to her Mother-in-law was this:

"But Ruth said, "Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."

Her sister-in-law went back home to her family, but not Ruth. For in the midst of her sorrow, Ruth had found Holy ground. She stood firm on that ground and would not leave the side of her dear mother-in-law. Through all of the sorrow that Ruth felt, God brought redemption. If you are interested in a story that starts off in great sorrow, but ends with God redeeming the lives of people who are suffering, and are in the midst of great sorrow, then read the story of Ruth. For you see, her sorrow became for her, Holy ground.

God Bless:

No comments: