Tuesday, May 17, 2005

True Friends – Why are they rare?

Thoughts fly through my mind and I wonder sometimes why it is that true friends are hard to find. Have you every wondered that?

Well as I thought about this question there was some things that came to mind. One of those was; “what is a true friend?” and “what would a true friend look like?”

A true friend would have your best interest at heart and would be a person who could hold you accountable for your actions. What! Accountability? That hurts! I am accountable to NO one! Isn’t that true?

As my teenage daughter would say; “NOT!” Ultimately I am accountable and I will give an account one day. But for today, a true friend is one who knows your weaknesses and holds you accountable about what you are doing in regards to those weaknesses.

That is why true friends are hard to find. We personally do not want to be accountable to someone who has our best interest at heart because we want those around us to think that we have it all together and that we have no weaknesses.

People, people, people, we don’t have a monopoly on making all the right decisions. We all make poor decisions and the outcomes they produce many times reveal our shortcomings and our weaknesses. A true friend would be one who knows us and about the time we are going to make decisions would call us into account and correct us so that those outcomes, which are mostly bad, do not come about but they help re-think and with re-thinking, decisions are modified and the outcomes more enjoyable.

That is why I think they are few; it is because we do want to reveal our weaknesses or faults to others. A true friend loves the person even if we are frogs in disguise and will hold us accountable and ask the hard questions we do not want to hear.

Oh to have a friend that will only praise! But then I ask; what value is that to me? I need someone who is free to point out my warts as well as my beauty. I need someone to not only to praise the “beauty” but also to hold the “beast” accountable.

Remember what you think, influences your decisions and those decisions determine the outcomes. A friend will call into question your thinking…before they become bad decisions.

No comments: